First impressions…we all have them. A good first impression can influence your credibility while a bad first impression can be difficult to get over. It’s easy to look online and find article after article on how to make a good first impression. First impressions are important, however; lasting impressions are what really matter.
Most of us meet new people every day. Whether passing by a stranger or meeting a new acquaintance, every interaction is a chance to create a new relationship, whether business or personal. How would you like that person to think of you?
Lasting impressions are often created in two ways, by very positive or very negative experiences. We remember the poor service we receive at a restaurant. It influences our decision to not return and to maybe even share the unpleasant experiences with others. We also remember the time that someone went out of their way to help us out, especially if we were having a bad day. That one interaction influenced the way we looked at that person by either adding to our perception of them being a good or changing our mind that they’re not so bad.
Often times, this is done with the smallest gesture.
- Look people in the eyes, smile and greet them as you walk by.
- Ask someone how their day is.
- Take the time to really listen to what others have to say.
- Lend a helping hand, if you’re free to do so.
- Let someone know when you’re thinking of them.
- Reach out to those having a difficult time, and show them they’re not alone.
Be the person who makes a lasting positive impression. Make someone smile. Turn someone’s day around.